Monday, October 26, 2009

Our first Muffin Tin Monday :o)

Hello all! I have some catching up to do~ Brennan celebrated his 6th birthday on Saturday so we've been busy :o) For now, I'm just going to post some pictures from today, and then I'll put some up of Brenny's birthday when I have more time. I'm having serious camera frustrations (aka lack of capability and dinero lol) so there won't be quite so many pics this time around *blah* We did have a really nice time today though, so I thought I'd share :o)

You're probably wondering what Muffin Tin Monday is all about. I had no idea either until just a couple of weeks ago. I am always combing the internet for new homeschool resources and ideas etc, and I came across this on another homeschooler's blog and thought it was really cute. It's really caught on and now there's an entire network of moms who do this~ they have a weekly theme and post pics of what they came up with each week. I haven't joined that particular group just yet~ but I thought I'd give the idea a try and see how my little guys liked it. Turns out it was a HUGE success and now they keep saying that they're "hungry for muffin tin monday" again :o) It's nice it's only once a week~ keeps it "special" and gives me time to come up with new ideas. Since it's Halloween on Saturday (Brenny's favorite) I thought we'd have a little bit of a Halloween theme~ I'd seen ideas for zombie fingers and all that sort of thing, but my kids like the fun stuff, not the gross stuff (whew! mommy has a weak stomach lol) It's nothing elaborate, but pretty fun for starters!




We had peanut butter and jelly jack o'lanterns, apple shishkabobs (I used my melon baller to scoop out balls of granny smith and gala apples~ they really liked these :o) ), ham and cheese on little wooden forks, spinach and candy corn. Since we had the flu a couple of weeks ago, their appetite has never quite recovered~ but today they ate everything and loved it. I'm going to use this to sneak in some new foods to try now and then too ;o) After lunch we went for a walk in the woods across the street~ it was breathtaking! It had been raining all morning, so all the colors were rich and vibrant and everything smelled earthy and rainy and wonderful. I can't believe how beautiful it is here~ I've been here for 14 years and I still can't get over it. We went off road and explored a bit and the boys had a great time~ I love watching them run and play, just being happy boys :o)

Looking for their "swords"~ they keep them in a special hiding place (aka bush at the trailhead)


en guarde!

off they go!



my little cheeser ;o)



I don't know why exactly, but almost every single picture of Brennan turned out blurry today *argh* Here's one of him puddle jumping :o)

one last pic of zachy~ there's something about this one that I just love :o)
Be back later with some birthday pics! :o)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good shots. Beautiful spot. Just watch your shutter speed, don't let it get below 1/125 sec. if you are shooting people moving. You can go a little slower (1/60 sec.) if they are walking slowly away or towards you. Anyway the photos are great. Keep it up.

Chelly said...

Thank you :o) It's hard NOT to find a beautiful spot around here! Especially this time of year. I really appreciate the input~ This is my first digital SLR (I swore I was going to go down shooting with film lol), and I'm just learning what all the buttons and switches do, the whole shutter speed/aperature/ISO thing *headache* I'm a very visual, hands-on learner so I'm just experimenting to see what does what. My husband is very techy and can teach this stuff in his sleep~ but when he speaks all I hear is Japanese LOL I'm getting a book that has what I like to call "recipes" in it~ ie: if you want "A" type of picture in this light with this effect, then do A,B and C, and I think that will help me get the hang of this better. Right now I'm working with a *blah* kit lens and a 50 mm fixed which I loove for portraits, but it's not so good handheld~ and trying to get shots of moving children with it just didn't work out so well. I have been lens searching for a while now and I actually came upon one that sounds great (both in functionality and budget, as I need something I can use for family/child portraits, a good walk-around, good low-light and will catch kids in action)~ the Tamron 28-75mm. Any experience with this lens? The dream lens is the Canon 70-200mm~ but I'm sure I will be dreaming for a LONG time on that one! LOL
I'm really excited to dive into this and get it right~so any and all input is very much appreciated! Thanks again and take care :o)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're a Canon girl. In that case take a look at the Canon 18-135mm IS. It costs $449.00 at B&H. It gives you a alot more wide angle and telephoto as well as Image Stabilization which helps cut down on hand held blur. With the weather getting colder, you will be taking more photos inside so you will enjoy the wide angle. The Tamron is a little faster,
f2.8 vs f3.5 (not a big deal) The Tamron cost about the same
($419.00) but you get more features with the Canon. (IMHO)
I hope this helps.

Chelly said...

It does help~ thank you! I had already ordered the lens before I got this message~ it was a really tough choice~ but I do like the 18-135 as well so I may just put that on my future purchase list ;o)I do love a good zoom! I am looooving my 50mm 1.8 though~ it's dreamy as long as I have my tripod. I love the bokeh and the creamy skin tones and color saturation and sharpness and and and...Did I mention I love this lens?? I've been studying like a crazy person the past little while(I'm a bit OCD once I dive into something lol) and I've learned alot~ photoshop is a beast, but I think I'll get the hang of it after a while.

As far as being a Canon girl~ I luuuurv my Canon but I did have a Nikon slr for 18 years (in honor of my father) and I loved that camera~ took it everywhere I went~ just never learned how to use it properly (how did I ever live without the internet???) It died a couple of years ago~ some internal thingy and the flash went bonkers so I had to retire it :o( It has a place of honor in my room, though ;o)

Thanks again for taking the time to respond~ and for the helpful input! I need all the help I can get *grumbles somthing about shutter speed* ;o)

Anonymous said...

I'm a Nikon guy myself and have been for over thirty years. Sorry about the lens thing..I didn't know you had ordered the Tamron. I have had several Tamrons and they have all been very good. Enjoy it and keeep taking pictures..that's how you get better. I'm certain your father is very proud of you (even though you shoot Canon). You have a wonderful family and life...that's all that matters.

Chelly said...

:o)

Wait a minute...did you just say "even though you shoot Canon"??? *narrows eyes and smirks* I'm gonna let that slide...just this once. ;o)

(and thank you so much for the kind words~ I have been very blessed for some strange reason! I adore my little family :o) )