Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Snow! Snow!! Snowwwwwww!!!! *happy dance*



What a beautiful surprise we got today! Out of nowhere, big beautiful flakes of snow came falling down, and didn't stop for hours (I think the total was 4 inches). For those of you who don't have a clue about what to expect in Oregon in the winter, it isn't snow lol. More often than not, we get a teaser once or twice during the season~ it starts to snow just long enough for us to get all excited~ but then it turns to rain and goes away. Or we get freezing rain (which is beautiful, but you better be prepared to stay home for a while)~ or we just get rain. Last year we had a full 2 weeks of snow which was a total freak of nature (darn global warming! *cough*) Today was totally unexpected~ yesterday the boys and I went walking in the woods with our cameras (I love to see what they find interesting so they brought their disposables along since it was such a nice day :o) ) ~ we wore only our jackets and soaked in the sun and had a great time. It was gloomy and gray this morning when we woke up so I was expecting rain~ but much to my surprise there was white stuff coming down! We all threw on our hats and coats and ran outside and had a ball :o) I LOVE the look on Gunnar's face~ he'd been wishing sooo hard for snow! Nobody was more excited than him :o)

Apparantly my little ones picked up somewhere along the way that the Thing to Do when it Snows is stick out your tongue and catch snowflakes on it. :o)
Unfortunately (as I discovered as well), they seem to gravitate more toward your eyes than your tongue!

Yes, he's happy :o)

Rut roh!

As happy as I was, I was really unhappy with the fact that I couldn't get my camera wet, and therefore couldn't get very many pictures unless I wanted to keep one of my guys away from the fun so he could hold an umbrella over me (uh~ NOT!) Tried that for a few minutes and just had to let it go. I just kept a plastic bag over it and did sneak attacks ;o) Off to the woods we go!



Okay so this picture came out way too blurry (low light, no IS) but I have to post it purely for the cool-ness factor. All of those little "u"-shaped thingys are spider webs~ and they extended up the tree as far as we could see. Gunnar called them "fairy hammocks" and thought that was very original and that I should quote him ;o) We probably would never have noticed them had it not been for the snow~ kinda cool!
I'll have a lot more pictures to put up on the photoblog once I get my photoshop back. I am, like, suffering here without it *wince* but I can do a couple of weeks, right? Riiiiight?!? Who'd have thought I would love something SO much that I used to fear SO much? (and no, my Obama-loving readers~ you may NOT apply this incidence to politics~ I do not fear socialism/communism/progressivism~ I loathe them! *smirk*~ this is purely a techno-epiphany!) Maybe I'll just have to blog like a crazy person to get myself through the wait :o) Okay~ enough sidetracking~ here are a few more pics from our super-fun day!
But first, a handsome man. ;o)

We came inside to warm up a little with some toast and hot chocolate~ then it was back outside again! (and just so you all know, I'm positive you have no interest in seeing pictures of toast. However, this blog serves a dual purpose for me~ keeps my loved ones updated, aaaand gives me a template for my scrapbook~ I can copy the text and print up these specific pictures when I'm ready to pull out the cardstock and glue sticks ;o) ) So just skip over the boring stuff, with my apologies. (warning~ here comes another one!) Okay that one's not so boring. I think I want some hot chocolate now. mmmmmmmmmmmm..... *snapping out of it*
Time for sledding! :o) Gunnar is such an awesome big brother!
Our cozy little house <3
Around 9pm when I thought we were all snuggled in for the night, Brennan had the fabulous idea of taking the new flashlights they got in their stockings outside to "search for clues in the snow". So back into our boots and hats and coats we went and out into the snowy night! I love how it was so bright outside~ even now, as I sit next to the window typing, I can see every tree in our backyard, where normally it would be pitch black. Beautiful :o)
Flashlight with a snowball on top. Cool. (these were all taken without a flash, by the way)
We decided to make a snowman~ just in case it all melted away while we were sleeping and we wouldn't be able to do it tomorrow :o)






Almost there! Just a few finishing touches, ie: carrot nose and.....well....meatballs. I don't know about you, but we just don't have a stash of coal handy for such occasions, and we had pasta and meatballs for dinner so...yeah. Meatball eyes. And hey! This is an Italian household so...viva la meatballs!


Voila! Perfect! (and Gunnar said the meatballs were really good cold :o) )


That's all folks! What a great day~ I hope the snow sticks around for another day, but then it has to go away so Anthony can have some clear roads for his trip back to Idaho :o( I'll post the Christmas pics/details next time around~ (which should be much sooner since I have no photoshop to play with lol) Hope you all had a wonderful Chirstmas/Chanuka and have some fun plans for New Year's!

No comments: